[horde] Doubt about default shares creation

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Oct 21 05:44:28 UTC 2010

Quoting "Michael J.Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Zitat von Alfonso Marín Marín <almarin at um.es>:
>>
>>> Hi list:
>>>
>>> I have a doubt. The first time that an users log in, Kronolith (
>>> and others shared enabled application) checks if already exists
>>> any visible share for that user, and if so, it doesn't create the
>>> personal one. ¿What is the point to do that?
>>>
>>> With this behaviour, if an user A gives show permissions to user B
>>> before user B log in the first time, user B won't have any
>>> personal share.
>>>
>>> Maybe it would be nice have a config option to indicate that a
>>> personal share must be created regardless of the displayable ones.
>>
>> Sounds about right, though this shouldn't be configurable.
>
> This was done this way on purpose. We don't want the user's personal
> share to automatically be created for a number of reasons. First,
> for apps like Turba, it's possible to have multiple backend data
> stores. We don't want to have each one of those having a personal
> share created on it automatically. It's also possible the user is
> using an app such as kronolith only to access a remote calendar, for
> instance and the user does not want another, local calendar created.
> There were a number of complaints about this prior to adding this
> feature.
>
> The way it works, at least in Turba, is if there is any address book
> the user has Perms::WRITE access to, then we don't create another
> one. I can check that this is the case for the other share apps as
> well, but I believe we should still prevent the creation of the
> "default" share if there as at least one other source with write
> permissions for the current user.

Seems like it might be worth making this explicitly configurable - for
one thing, if someone is *supposed* to have write access to another
share but doesn't for some reason, the admin might not want their
default share to be created. So maybe better to explicitly say
"auto-create default share - on/off" (along with control over creating
more shares...).

-chuck