[horde] Doubt about default shares creation

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Oct 20 17:25:10 UTC 2010

Zitat von "Michael J.Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> This was done this way on purpose. We don't want the user's
>>> personal share to automatically be created for a number of
>>> reasons. First, for apps like Turba, it's possible to have
>>> multiple backend data stores. We don't want to have each one of
>>> those having a personal share created on it automatically. It's
>>> also possible the user is using an app such as kronolith only to
>>> access a remote calendar, for instance and the user does not want
>>> another, local calendar created. There were a number of complaints
>>> about this prior to adding this feature.
>>>
>>> The way it works, at least in Turba, is if there is any address
>>> book the user has Perms::WRITE access to, then we don't create
>>> another one. I can check that this is the case for the other share
>>> apps as well, but I believe we should still prevent the creation
>>> of the "default" share if there as at least one other source with
>>> write permissions for the current user.
>>
>> I don't agree. I think it's more confusing to the user if he
>> doesn't get a personal share for some reason that really escapes
>> him. I see that there might be a reason where we don't want to
>> create a share, but this should be really limited, well-defined
>> situations, e.g. for guest users obviously.
>
> By the same logic, it doesn't make sense to not allow a user to
> delete their personal share if so desired. If we always do a check
> for the personal share, and create one without exception, then the
> user will have no way to *not* have a personal share: I log in, see
> I have an unused, unwanted source, I delete it. The next page load,
> it's back.

We already prohibit users from deleting their default/personal share
in the interface code.

> For example, even if I primarily use kronolith to access a remote
> calendar, I would still always have a new local calendar created for
> me, even though I do not want or need it. Similarly, in Turba, even
> if I primarily use a non-share enabled source as my primary address
> book, I will still always have a personal share created for me, and
> no way to delete it.

I don't see a problem with that, and this isn't possible at the moment
anyway, see above. One could argue to allow deletion of the personal
share resp. to not create the personal share, if the user has other
shares he owns. But just having write or read access to *any* share is
not a good reason to not create the personal share.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/