[horde] server capacity ?

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Thu Nov 4 09:53:08 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch 03 November 2010, 17:13:31 schrieben Sie:
> What can I say. I am an old dog. Back in the old days, I used to
> install slackware linux. However, due to its package management
> (I think it's obsoleted these days) and due to the fact that most
> of the times it cannot find complicated adapters (such as the
> hp/compaq 6460 or the 641 or the i5), I stopped using slack and
> found refuge on CentOS. Personally I find yum extremely helpfull.
> What satisfies me is that it finds dependencies and does not allow
> broken deps and packages (it always updates properly for my experience).
> I don't know why you say that CentOS is not good but I am pretty sure
> you must have your own reasons and respect this. What release are you
> using for heavy metal hardware ?
Things could get very difficult on CentOS if you want / must install something
which is not packaged for yum (and the repos offers just relative small amount
of packages).

RedHat does a lot of things to make shure that professional users are buying
their commercial distributions so there i've found a lack of many important
features in packages or a lot of important features for me are not in the
repos there.

Personally i'm mostly use Gentoo (may be because i'm to "spoilt" from the BSDs
;) or the distribution independent pkgsrc repos - there i see and know what i
get and it could be customized much more easily if you need to customize
something in the package management. It is well documented and has a very open
/ transparent design. Gentoo systems are typically build from source to the
target arch which allows many optimizations in performance and/or security -
so it is ideal if you have to rely on older hardware. It is easy to maintain
own kernels and/or kernel configs (which is a mess under CentOS, brrr). If i
read all the posts over binary distris where users ask: where did i find the
dependency fitting package including this and this feature i just can wonder.
Under Gentoo you can easily install the required version including the
required set of featuresand without wasting ressources with stuff you did not
use (USE flags), optimized for your type of archs.

If i have to rely (or many less IT-skilled users i know) on a binary
distribution i hardly prefer Debianish distris as Debians package management
is - so my exepreince - comparably the most reliable in many situations
(including dependency resolving) and there are a lot of backports / port
alternatives out there. Especially for end users there are at least and hand
of higher level package management apps (incl. GUI, menu driven - i.e.
aptitude) which makes software / package management easy even to end users. If
you run yum you have to start and bet...

For Desktop systems for end users i would recommend Ubuntu (which is one of
the "debianish" distri) - may be there are peoples out which prefer the Ubuntu
server versions for headless / server usage ober pure "Debian".

Especially if you run more then one machine - including different archs -
Gentoo is one of the effectivest way do mantain your systems. If you run it on
mainly the same arch. Debian could do some things faster (because no compiling
would be done).

This is my experience, but i assume there are others with their own...

best regards,

Niels.
--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---