[horde] server capacity ?

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 19:14:35 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 3/11/10, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

> From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [horde] server capacity ?
> To: horde at lists.horde.org
> Date: Wednesday, 3 November, 2010, 19:51
> Quoting Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>:
>
> > --- On Tue, 2/11/10, Niels Dettenbach <nd at syndicat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I would recommend cyrus too (with squatter and
> idled
> >> activated) as your POP / IMAP if you want to run
> it as a
> >> comfortable IMAP server. It brings a fast fulltext
> indexing
> >> engine and allows performance optimization in
> different ways
> >> (i.e. partitioning). Not at least it offers SIEVE
> filters
> >> and the afaik most complete IMAP proto
> implementation. With
> >> idled your clients did not have to poll every
> minute to get
> >> their mail fast signaled / received (as soon as
> the clients
> >> are able to do imap idle )...
> >

> > What can I say. I jumped on the IMAP bandwagon just
> about ten
> > months ago because of necessity. At first, I was
> unimpressed by
> > dovecot. But the more I used it, the more I understood
> that it
> > does what it promises. Also, I have to say, the
> developer is quite
> > commited and very hard-working. I haven't met to date
> anyone so
> > hard-working and dedicated to his project. So, I
> thought I felt
> > obligated to use this piece of software. And I haven't
> regretted it.
>
> My quick 2 cents on IMAP server selection:
>
> I personally develop with Dovecot for a variety of
> reasons.  Most important is probably that Timo, author
> of dovecot, has optimized many of dovecot's features/code
> specifically for problems unique to webmail installations
> (he has been funded by several corporations primarily for
> this reason).  Server-side caching may be the most
> important of these optimizations - this is critically
> important for webmail installations.
>
> Additionally, with Dovecot 2 Timo has implemented several
> IMAP extensions that are tremendously useful for
> disconnected clients (of which webmail is a specialized
> type).  In IMP 5, we make full use of these extensions
> to optimize caching and provide a truly transparent caching
> experience - a stock RFC 3501 IMAP client has certain
> limitations that don't allow seamless caching (e.g. flag
> changes can not be synchronized if another IMAP client
> changes the mailbox).
>
> It also helps that I have met Timo in person and he is
> responsible, in part, for helping me during the early design
> phases of Horde's new IMAP client library.
>
> Speaking more generally, any IMAP server that supports
> server-side caching, server-side sorting, and the CONDSTORE
> and QRESYNC IMAP extensions will be a good choice.

> [...]

Thanks again Michael,

I always had this hunch that I know what I am building on based on the
open-sources projects I choose to build my projects in the first place.

From your saying, it looks like I am right (most of the time anyway :-)

Thank you kindly for your reply and it was very kind of you to share
all this with the rest of us. It gives us a bit more insight on what's
happening in the backstage and also helps us understand why we choose
what we choose to work with.

thank you again,

spyros

----
"I merely function as a channel that filters
music through the chaos of noise"
 - Vangelis