[horde] Imp/Dimp Inbox incorrectly shows 0 emails

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Fri Dec 3 20:55:15 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 08:56 AM, Joe Besko wrote:

> If you try to change the default sorting options without deleting the
> user's sortpref, it won't have any affect. The user's sortpref will
> override the system's defaults. You need to delete the user's sortpref,
> have the user log out, if logged in, then log in after deleting the
> preference. We use mysql to store our user's prefs, and the sql code
> looks like:
>
> Verify the preference:
> select * from horde_prefs where pref_uid='<userid>' and pref_scope='imp'
> and pref_name='sortpref';
>
> Deleting the preference:
> delete from horde_prefs where pref_uid='<userid>' and pref_scope='imp'
> and pref_name='sortpref';
>
> I'd be curious to know what the user was sorting his messages on.
>
> Good luck.

OK, Joe and Michael, thank you for all your suggestions.  But I would love to
know WHY this fixed the problem.  :-)

We use OpenLDAP for the prefs because it is lightning fast and very scalable.
However, the tradeoff is that raw edits like you suggested are not nearly as
easy to do as they are with SQL.

So I ended up writing a short script to find and clear the impPrefs: sortpref
attribute.  AND THE PROBLEM VANISHED WHEN THE ADDRESS sortpref WAS REMOVED.

The value I removed in OpenLDAP was this

sortpref:YTo0OntzOjU6IklOQk9YIjthOjI6e3M6MToiYiI7czoxOiIzIjtzOjE6ImQiO3M6MDoiIjt9czo1OiJUcmFzaCI7YToxOntzOjE6ImIiO3M6MToiMSI7fXM6MzA6Iioqc2VhcmNoXzZ4eDdiY2d0b2E4c2cwOGdnNGMwZyI7YToyOntzOjE6ImIiO3M6MToiMSI7czoxOiJkIjtzOjE6IjAiO31zOjg6IlRlbXBUZXN0IjthOjE6e3M6MToiYiI7czoxOiIxIjt9fQ==

I realize that is the serialized value.  I talk perl and am a real newbie to
PHP.  But I still feel silly that I have never figured out how with perl to
decode a serialized string from PHP.  So if anyone wants to know what the
problem value was, you will have to decode it.

We have asked the user to try and "recreate" his sort settings when he has some
time.  And if he can cause the problem again, now that I KNOW what to look for,
I will try the exact same settings on another address.

And in the meantime, if anyone can explain why removing the address sortpref
fixed this, I would love to understand.  Is it possible we have an option in the
address sort prefs that we should not allow for Cyrus IMAP?

Thanks again for your assistance and have a great weekend.

--
Andy Dorman
FanMail.com