[horde] Syncing horde contacts with tb

gimili gimili17 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 01:28:47 UTC 2010

On 09/12/2010 4:19 AM, Ralf Lang wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 08 Dezember 2010, 17:11:58 schrieb gimili:
>> On 12/7/2010 11:56 AM, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>>> Any chance of syncing a Thunderbird MUA contacts list from the horde
>>> contacts list ?
>> It would be nice if there was a thunderbird extension that allowed you
>> to use horde's mysql address book or if there was read/write to a ldap
>> address book instead of read only in thunderbird.  I have looked and
>> never found anything.
> You normally don't want to open your addressbook ldap daemon to the general
> internet for security reasons - even with only authenticated binding. Same
> goes for mysql daemon.
There must be a reasonable safe way to access an addressbook over the
internet.  Wouldn't it be safe via a vpn?  In my situation the access
would be over the lan so security would not be an issue.
> A plugin should query the horde contacts API instead and should keep in mind
> that horde itself might be behind some http-auth security measure.
> That said, I am not so sure the horde list is the best point to ask for a TB
> plugin.

BTW:  I wasn't asking the horde list for a TB to horde contacts plugin.
I was just stating my opinion on the subject syncing horde contacts with
tb.  I believe a lack of a shareable addressbook for TB is currently a
shortcoming for TB.  IMHO if horde could provide that it would make
horde more appealing to many TB users.  Just an opinion though...