[horde] cache question

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Feb 4 23:05:25 UTC 2011

Quoting Niels Dettenbach <nd at syndicat.com>:

> Am Freitag 28 Januar 2011, 00:33:28 schrieb Paras pradhan:
>> I think enabling this cache is highly recommended. Should I use file
>> or other driver? which one is recommened?
>
> hmmm,
> i did not tested horde with all of the available caching backends, but i
> assume there is no general answer which of the backends gives most
> "effect" as
> your expectations may differ from that of others and it depends from the
> underlying system environment too.
>
> We mainly used eAccelerator driver in the past and apache's cache mechs (i.e.
> mem cache). For different reasons we run the eAccelerator disk storage on a
> tempfs at several machines with i.e. slow storage backend (i know that
> eAccelerator offers RAM caching byself) - especially with slower SAN
> backends.
> As caching was removed from eAccelerator > 0.9.5 (as i.e. stated within the
> Horde admin panel) we switched over to APC (which should get into the PHP
> upstream with PHP 6).

These are PHP opcode cachers *not* Horde cache backends.  They have
nothing to do with horde (although they are useful to speed up ANY PHP
based script).

> Our experiences with memcached in the past did not match our expectations
> (plus there was several security flaws in the past within memcached) - so we
> did not use it anymore. May be this is a wrong decision. One interesting part
> is that memcached could run even on another / exteral machine.

There are no security flaws in memcached that I am aware of.  Besides
the fact that it has NO AUTHENTICATION whatsoever.  But that is a
feature, not a flaw.  It is why a memcache server should NEVER be on a
publicly accessible network.

michael