[horde] Horde Email Question

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Wed Mar 16 18:39:23 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 09:28 AM, spalomo at trinityal.com wrote:

> Why is it that when I attach a *.pdf or an excel file and send it to
> someone. They do not get the attached file.
>
> I tried sending it to my secondary email account @austin.rr.com and it
> just will not receive the attached file.

I have seen this happen for ALL attachments two reasons...

1. The temp dir on the server where the attached file is stored before sending
has the permissions set such that the web server can not write to it or the MTA
(mail transport agent like postfix, qmail, exim or sendmail) can not read the
file.  Our servers use /tmp to store the attachments.  But other installations
might use a different dir.

2. I expect this is NOT your problem, but just in case...We run horde/imp on a
load-balanced cluster of servers and keep the session in memcache across all the
servers.  At one point we experimented with letting http also use whichever
server was handy for http requests.  This was great for reliability because we
could take a server down for any reason and if your session was using that
server, the next query went to a different server and with the session in
memcache, no one noticed...until they tried to send an email with an attachment.
  When they would hit "Send", that http request might not go to the server that
actually had the attachment in it's file system.  Those emails would arrive with
no attachment.

But if your problem ONLY happens for .pdf or excel attachments, then I have no idea.

--
Andy Dorman
FanMail.com