[horde] Migrating to a new Horde install

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at dada.net
Wed Mar 30 12:44:41 UTC 2011

> From: horde-bounces at lists.horde.org [mailto:horde-
> bounces at lists.horde.org] On Behalf Of Jan Schneider
> Zitat von Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at dada.net>:
>
> > So, after some success at getting installed, I'm stuck with the
> most
> > obvious question.  No one else has asked it, so it's probably
> stupid
> > or lazy..
> >
> > When Horde4.0 is finally released, many people will be upgrading
> from
> > a legacy installation.  Which brings its own challenges, to be
> > sure.  However, I will be setting Horde4.0 on a completely new box.
> > Given that there about 732 tabs worth of options to wade through
> and
> > configure, is there some way to get an easy synopsis of all the old
> > configuration parameters?
>
> Like the descriptions that come with each setting in the interface?
>
> You have two options: either you use Horde because of it's tremendous
> flexibility, one sign for that are "732" tabs of configuration. Or
> you hope the best that we picked sane defaults for each setting (we
> did).
> But please don't come back then to ask each time if this or that
> feature would possible, until you've really gone through all
> configuration options.

This may come as a shock - but I use Horde for both reasons.  And yes, on the whole your defaults are very sane.  However, I know I changed a few - and it would be nice to know, or easily find which few, so I can work out if the change was sane, and whether to keep it like that.

> > I'm dreading wading through this lot once - let alone setting it up
> on
> > stage and then doing it all again on prod (although at that stage
> it
> > may be easier to copy over the install/config files I've built on
> > stage, but I'm not sure about the soundness of that approach.
>
> That's perfectly sane and best practice for *any* staging of services
> into production.

Then, I think that's what I'll do..

Andreas has anticipated my next question though - once I'm done setting up the new installation, I'm going to want to copy the data from the old installation.  I'll presume info regarding that is in docs/UPGRADING and come back if I have questions.

However, if you have pointers, please don't be shy.

Love the new look and feel.

Simon