[horde] Horde 4 misc problems

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Apr 10 19:52:32 UTC 2011

Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:

> Ill be honest with you, I am confused with the backend.php file, and
> the way Horde authenticate users...
>
> I dont have a authentication server or process running on my horde
> machine.  Should I implement one?  Right now, I was thinking to use my
> gmail account as the authentication engine.  So when I am presented
> with the first Horde login page, which engine is used to authenticate?
>  Then, once logged in , why do we need a second auth engine?
>
> Thanks for helping!

First, some assumptions: You said you are using your gmail account to
authenticate. I will assume that this means you have selected "IMAP"
authentication when configuring Horde, and not "Let a application
handle authentication".

When you login to Horde in your case, you are authenticated *only* to
Horde. The fact that you told horde to use an IMAP server to validate
a username/password is irrelevant. Horde basically attempts to login
to the IMAP server, sees that it succeeds, then marks you as
authenticated.  Now, you attempt to use IMP, it needs to know where
your email is stored i.e., it needs the details of your IMAP server.
IMP has no idea that Horde is using an IMAP server, let alone the
*same* IMAP server, for authentication. This is why you need to
populate the backends.php file with the connection details. Ok. Now,
horde knows where your mail is, but it still doesn't know to use the
same credentials that you used to login to Horde to login to your IMAP
server. For that, you need to set the 'hordeauth' parameter in
backends.php - like it explains in the file header.

Of course, you can make this process easier by telling Horde to "Let
an Applciation Handle Authentication" and tell it to use "IMP". Horde
then delegates authentication to IMP, which then authenticates against
the server specified in backends.php.

--mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org