[horde] Horde 4 misc problems

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 20:30:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:
>
> First, some assumptions: You said you are using your gmail account to
> authenticate. I will assume that this means you have selected "IMAP"
> authentication when configuring Horde, and not "Let a application handle
> authentication".
>
> When you login to Horde in your case, you are authenticated *only* to Horde.
> The fact that you told horde to use an IMAP server to validate a
> username/password is irrelevant. Horde basically attempts to login to the
> IMAP server, sees that it succeeds, then marks you as authenticated.  Now,
> you attempt to use IMP, it needs to know where your email is stored i.e., it
> needs the details of your IMAP server. IMP has no idea that Horde is using
> an IMAP server, let alone the *same* IMAP server, for authentication. This
> is why you need to populate the backends.php file with the connection
> details. Ok. Now, horde knows where your mail is, but it still doesn't know
> to use the same credentials that you used to login to Horde to login to your
> IMAP server. For that, you need to set the 'hordeauth' parameter in
> backends.php - like it explains in the file header.
>
> Of course, you can make this process easier by telling Horde to "Let an
> Applciation Handle Authentication" and tell it to use "IMP". Horde then
> delegates authentication to IMP, which then authenticates against the server
> specified in backends.php.

OK, you guessed right!  and I understand now how it works!  I changed
my config to "Let a application handle authentication" and it works.

So in regard to the send mail server (smtp), can I put the config info
in the same block as the imap server?

If so, where do I put the tls parameter for GMail's smtp servers?
Right now my backend.php file looks like:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    // ENABLED by default
    'disabled' => false,
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'hostspec' => 'imap.gmail.com',
    'hordeauth' => true,
    'protocol' => 'imap',
    'port' => 993,
    // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see RFC 3501
    'secure' => 'ssl',
    'maildomain' => '',
    'smtphost' => 'smtp.gmail.com',
    'smtpport' => 587,