[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Tue May 10 10:46:32 UTC 2011

Hi all... I have been watching with interest the posts from people
upgrading to H4 and am keen to do so, with some good functionality and
improvements that will make several things easier for my family setup...

BUT there are a couple of things that I am hesitant about.

I have a full function H3 setup, with just about every app installed
and in use. We use LDAP backend with LDAP Turba address books, Trean
bookmarks, Kronolith, Nag, Ingo, Forums, even Ansel for family pics. I
use Whups for logging issues, and Wicked for comments in Ansel... I
use Passwd connected back into LDAP to enable single point password
management of my Unix backend.

I use LDAP Groups to manage security to limit access to applications -
I have some users who only have photo gallery access for example, and
who I don't want to have access to the email system.

Whilst I like the look of the new H4 suite, I am also conscious that
the current setup a) works; and b) does most of what I need. But the
ability to sync contacts to the family's iPhones would be a godsend!

So I am after some advice - am I going to just break everything if I
try and upgrade? Will Passwd still work? Or am I going to need to
spend weeks redoing everything? Will the old H3 vintage apps not work
at all? How will I manage Groups / Users security?

If anyone can provide some advice that would be appreciated. Am I
better off setting up a new parallel install, or upgrading the old one?

Thanks
Simon.
--
Simon Wilson