[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed May 11 17:31:33 UTC 2011

Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:

> the main question is: are the still updates for Horde3 in the future?

Yes.  There is a policy as the this on the web site.  Always has been.
Read it.  Understand it.

> if not we get really funny because one have the choice between
> secruity-problems or some days to migrate his whole stuff and
> pray that it works really

Always the same issue, with any software...  No way around it except
to stop evolving/improving/etc.

> i will never understand why somebody thinks it is a good
> attitude to throw away backward-compat......

Horde has always gone way out of the way for backward compatibility,
inside of manjor versions.  You can't stop it between major versions,
unless again you want to stop evolving/improving/etc.

> seeing that there no longer tarballs, the PEAR splitted in thousands of

PEAR packages are tarballs...  And the horde team has other things to
worry about right now than consolidated tarballs.  Maybe they will release
consolidated tarballs later, but right now there are more important things
to deal with.

If you need tarballs, you can download the PEAR tarballs. If you need
consolidated tarballs, you can manually combine the PEAR tarballs into
larger consolidated tarballs.  Fairly trivial really.

> packages without thinking one second what this means for rpm-driven systems
> and apckage-builders feels like nobody cares about users as also in
> bugreports like http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/9670

They _DID_ think about this, and discussed it.  And they do care about
users.  But you can't please everyone, so you try to please as many as
you can even if that ticks off a few others.

Would you rather they delayed the release another year just so they
could provide you with a consolidated tarball?   Or they get it out now,
and either let you build your own tarballs or wait until someone gets the
time to do it later?  Which is really the better option?  I think if they
waited too long for the release, we would have lost more users due to
not having a current, modern release than we will lose by releasing it
without consolidated tarballs.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.