[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 11 18:42:19 UTC 2011

Am 11.05.2011 20:32, schrieb Chuck Hagenbuch:
> Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
>
>> PEAR is a bad joke because you have no control with "pear upgrade"
>> what version will be fetched if you have more than one machine
>>
>> so it can be that on your test-machine all is sane and the
>> next day you get a newer package on production-system which
>> is broken
>
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/guide.users.commandline.installing.php
>
> "You can also install a specific version, or upgrade to a specific version regardless of the state:
>
> $ pear install Foo-1.2.3
> $ pear upgrade Foo-1.2.3"

yeah but it IS NOT deployable if you are mixing libraries and apps like horde

have you ever maintained 20 machines they all need pear and only some of
them horde? pear you can distribute after some tests with rsync and ONE
command line to thousands of machines, you can NOT do this any longer
the same way if there is horde included

take a look of the script below

* make a normal-sysupdate on a admin-machine with test-environment
* with another script copy all from "/var/cache/yum/" in local dir
* createrepo localdir
* distribute-updates.sh
* no interest if there are 10, 100 or thousand of machines
* they will all get only what they need
* nothing ever will touch any config

show me this 1:1 with pear, do it and after 3 years we discuss again
which of us had any issues over all the time!

[root at buildserver:~]$ cat /buildserver/distribute-updates.sh
#!/bin/bash
source server-list.txt
function rh_push_updates
{