[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed May 11 19:17:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

> Am 11.05.2011 20:32, schrieb Chuck Hagenbuch:
>> Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
>>
>>> PEAR is a bad joke because you have no control with "pear upgrade"
>>> what version will be fetched if you have more than one machine
>>>
>>> so it can be that on your test-machine all is sane and the
>>> next day you get a newer package on production-system which
>>> is broken
>>
>> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/guide.users.commandline.installing.php
>>
>> "You can also install a specific version, or upgrade to a specific version regardless of the state:
>>
>> $ pear install Foo-1.2.3
>> $ pear upgrade Foo-1.2.3"

> yeah but it IS NOT deployable if you are mixing libraries and apps like horde

> have you ever maintained 20 machines they all need pear and only some of
> them horde? pear you can distribute after some tests with rsync and ONE
> command line to thousands of machines, you can NOT do this any longer
> the same way if there is horde included

> take a look of the script below

> * make a normal-sysupdate on a admin-machine with test-environment
> * with another script copy all from "/var/cache/yum/" in local dir
> * createrepo localdir
> * distribute-updates.sh
> * no interest if there are 10, 100 or thousand of machines
> * they will all get only what they need
> * nothing ever will touch any config

I  still  do not understand what's this all the fuss about (I'm using RPM
based farm myself).

* pear install horde/horde on test machine
* copy all "/usr/share/pear"
* create a local pear channel
* distribute to other machines

as  for  configurations,  they  would have not  been  touched if you've configured it
according to instructions.

You  cannot  expect  PEAR  to be system wide packaging tool but for web
applications  it  works,  and  works  pretty well in almost all cases.
PEAR  in  fact  is  the  only way to keep portability across different
systems  (even  Windows)  and to have simple and fast setup experience
for complex PHP applications.

If  you insist using RPMs for this, that's fine. Use make-rpm-spec and
create   RPMs  with just a few mouse clicks. AFAIK, make-rpm-spec even
follows all dependencies from package.xml files for you. So it doesn't
matter if there are 20 horde libraries or one.

It's  not  like  Horde  developers  choosen  installation system which
requires  you to install half Unix packages into Windows or such. PEAR
*is*  a  standard  for  professional  IT  environment. Even RH support
advices  you  to install packages through PEAR and doesn't not provide
RPMs for all popular packages.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius