[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed May 11 19:54:52 UTC 2011

Quoting Bruno Costacurta <techie at costacurta.org>:

> Manual actions, which are always error-prone, are needed about
> configuration files when upgrading from H3 to H4, correct ?

If you want to do the install correctly, yes.

> So there is *no* auto-upgrade path from H3 to H4.

In H2 (say H2 to H3) there was ONLY manual upgrades of all files (there
was no web interface for configuration in H2).  Horde is making progress
(GUI for configuration, scripts for database upgrades, etc), and it is
good progress from the original versions (no GUI at all, etc).  But it
is not a full GUI/Auto system yet, though it gets better each release.

> This is a drawback.

Horde has never had a full auto-upgrade in place.  So this is not a new
drawback.  It is at worst status-quo.

Very few large programs have a full auto-upgrade system.  I don't have this
in PostgreSQL for example, and I don't expect it in Horde or other large and
complex software projects. Despite my not expecting this, the team keeps
making it easier each release.

So you can accept the newest, easiest upgrade methods they provide, or you
can reject them.  But I see little point in complaining.  It's not like
there used to be an auto-upgrade and it was removed, or like all other
projects besides Horde allow an auto-upgrade.