[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed May 11 19:35:36 UTC 2011

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Firstly, you could copy over the H3 file and edit.  But to do so,
>>> you'd need to know what features have changed and the reasons for
>>> those changes.  And it's not likely you could do that without
>>> doing a clean H4 install and looking at the new file.  But then
>>> you'd already have a new H4 file - so at the point the work you're
>>> trying to avoid will have been done.  Why not just do a diff on
>>> the two files and move over the options you're really concerned
>>> about (assuming you didn't set them properly as you were setting
>>> up the H4 file)?
>>

>> (first, Simon, sorry for my previous top-posting. Thanks for your
>> attention about the netiquette)
>>

>> Manual actions, which are always error-prone, are needed about
>> configuration files when upgrading from H3 to H4, correct ?
>> So there is *no* auto-upgrade path from H3 to H4.
>> This is a drawback.
>
> ...this was always the case though, even when upgrading H3 versions.
> Configuration options have been added/changed during the H3 line
> from time to time, causing the need to re-evaluate the current
> configuration.

I think the only time I haven't had to manually modify config files in
the 10+ years I've used Horde is between minor revisions. ie. 3.1.1 ->
3.1.2.

I agree it sucks, but you'd need an entire framework to try and map
old preferences/config settings for every possible installation from
one major release to another.  Sounds like a bounty.

Rick