[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed May 11 21:00:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Reindl Harald wrote:

> sorry - but i maintain 20 fedora-production-servers and normally
> a dist-upgrade for ALL SOFTWARE including horde as also the core-os,
> rdbms, webservers, ftp-servers takes about 10 minutes and 30
> seconds for reboot on a VMware-ESXi-Guest with as few packages
> installed as possible - the work upgrading horde now feels
> like making the jump from Fdora 12 -> 13 -> 14 only for one
> application - gratulations!

Are we arguing about the upgrade from Horde3 to Horde4, or the switch to
PEAR packaging?

There is not going to be a simple rpm or yum upgrade process from Horde3
to Horde4 because new config files must be generated and database
migration scripts must be ran.  In any case, the Horde project doesn't
provide RPMs for Horde3 or Horde4, so that would be up to package
maintainers from RedHat or Suse.

A second issue is the switch from tar.gz downloads to PEAR downloads.
PEAR can give you the tar.gz file as well (pear download <package>), but
it also handles the various dependencies automatically, assuming the Horde
packages have defined them.  For example, it can automatically pull in the
PEAR MDB2 package.  Upgrading PEAR packages is very simple as well (pear
upgrade <package>).

Obviously, RPM could do the same thing (simple upgrades, dependencies,
etc), but that is really up to the package maintainers for RedHat and
Suse.  I see no reason they couldn't generate RPM packages for Horde4,
based on the PEAR packages.  I'm not very familiar with RedHat or Suse,
but Debian provides DEB packages for a lot of PEAR modules.

Perhaps you should request your distro start building Horde4 RPM packages?

 	Andy