[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed May 11 21:00:41 UTC 2011

Sveiki,

> Am 11.05.2011 21:39, schrieb Eric Jon Rostetter:

>>> PEAR is a bad joke because you have no control with "pear upgrade"
>>> what version will be fetched if you have more than one machine
>>
>> If you install "<package>-1.1" it installs verions 1.1.  How hard is that?

> this makes fun on more than one machine instead a "yum update
> with defined versions?

>>> so it can be that on your test-machine all is sane and the
>>> next day you get a newer package on production-system which
>>> is broken
>>
>> Specify the versions, and that isn't a problem.  Or copy the install
>> from your test to your production.

> it take me some days to get a hordemigration
> i have other things to do than broken setups rebuild

What broken setups?

>> You seem no to understand that PEAR packages are just tarballs.  There
>> is nothing to generate as a package is a tarball.  But, if you want
>> to consolidate them,  you can.  How should we know what you and others
>> want consolidated (yeah, we can make a very good guess, but still).

> THE SAME AS BEFORE DAMNED AND ADDITIONAL STUFF IN NEW PACKAGES

So  you are complaining about more code and more packages? How about KDE
set  of  packages  or Gnome set of packages or qt set of packages? I'm
wondering if one who packages them complains.

That's  a  life  of  RPM package mainainer. Software evolve, some gets
more   modular  in  a  process. You have to follow what happens on the
upstream and adjust your packages accordingly. If you don't like it, you should not be
doing it in the first place.

>> Besides, we haven't provided RPMS for years.  So for years packagers
>> needed to do this work themselves (rpms, debs, etc).  Not much new,
>> except now it is distrubuted as many tarballs instead of a few tarballs.
>> Not a giant difference.

> if you have no other work maybe

Now  you  are  complaining  that  packaging software into RPM packages
takes  your  time.  Then  DON'T DO IT. It works perfectly fine as is.

>>> even more worse seeing what happended finally
>> Why didn't you and others get involved in the discussions?

> because i never had thought that a DAMNED WEB-APP needs more
> attention as the whole peration system with hundrets of packages

Except  that Horde is not "web-app" it's a *set* of libraries. And Horde
is  not  the only one. For example to install Spamassassin you have to
install ~10 other additional Perl packages through CPAN.

> sorry - but i maintain 20 fedora-production-servers and normally
> a dist-upgrade for ALL SOFTWARE including horde as also the core-os,
> rdbms, webservers, ftp-servers takes about 10 minutes and 30
> seconds for reboot on a VMware-ESXi-Guest with as few packages
> installed as possible - the work upgrading horde now feels
> like making the jump from Fdora 12 -> 13 -> 14 only for one
> application - gratulations!

Just  add  "pear upgrade" to you upgrade procedure and it will take 10
minutes  and  31  second. There is really no real value to package RPM
for Horde except for religious reasons that every software package on a
system should be packaged.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius