[horde] passwd H4 polishing for release - Requirements and directions?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 9 18:23:00 UTC 2011

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> I've been toying around with the unreleased passwd from git.

Thanks.  Are you submitting back to git?

> The newsletter says passwd is waiting for proper horde 4 conversion.

Yes.

> The roadmap says passwd should be dropped and merged into the basic horde app
> and horde_auth (http://wiki.horde.org/ReleaseManagement)

Yes, eventually.  But unless someone is actively working on that, then it
is okay to keep it as a separate module until such time as someone starts
merging it into Horde/horde_auth.

> For its main purpose, changing the user's horde account pw, passwd doesn't
> need to be a separate app (as said in the roadmap).

Yes, but I would hope we could keep it doing more than just that.

> But passwd is/was more generic and could be configured to change any password
> in a given infrastructure independent of Horde. Such a feature should be a
> separate app and not live somewhere under options or preferences. This could
> evolve into a generic password/credentials manager but is a completely
> different story.

And an interesting one, though I'm not sure who if anyone would want to
work on it (so it may never happen).

> I am not sure what is needed for a proper passwd H4 3.2 release but
> I've found
> the following items:
>
>  * convert the ldap backend to Horde_Ldap
>  * Make sure the composite backend uses the injector instead of the base
> class' factory method
>  * remove that method
>  * make sure things like Horde_Vfs are included via injector

Would certainly be a good start (and work for me, since I use it with the
ldap backend).

> I think I could basically do that before H4.1 but passwd ships a lot of
> backends and I doubt I can build the infrastructure to test them all
> properly.

If you have horde, sql, and ldap complete, it could probably ship.  We
could see about removing some of the older, less used drivers too.
Others could be released if we at least think they should work, and we
can fix bugs with them as they are reported.  horde/sql/ldap should
cover most people...  Be nice if composite worked too, but probably not
a show stopper.  The kolab folks could probably help get the kolab driver
working.  I'd certainly not be opposed to dropping some drivers (like
pine, servuftp, etc) and shipping with untested ones (like expect, procopen,
vpopmail, vmailmgr, etc).  As long as we have some well tested popular
ones together (sql, ldap, etc).

> Would it be okay to drop some until somebody with the need, knowledge and
> infrastructure re-introduces them?

Some could just be dropped (until someone wants to pay for them?).  Others
could be released as "un-tested" until someone can test them and file bug
reports.  But the most popular ones _should_ be working (or believed to be
working at least).

> On the other hand, if it's just meant to change Horde passwords and will be
> dropped anyway, why bother with anything beyond what the hordeauth backend
> does now?

The plan has been to drop/integrate it for 4-5 years now, and I don't
think anyone has started yet.  So I would say, if we can, we should maintain
it as-is until someone at least starts the integrate it with the intent of
replacing it.  So I would say we should indeed try to port it.

> Any comments welcome.

I can help later this year, but I've got a June 20th deadline to meet which
is consuming 110% of my time right now (and will probably continue to take
50% of my time for a while after the deadline).  So I might be able to help
with this come mid/late July...