[horde] passwd H4 polishing for release - Requirements and directions?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Thu Jun 9 18:03:36 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I've been toying around with the unreleased passwd from git.
The newsletter says passwd is waiting for proper horde 4 conversion.
The roadmap says passwd should be dropped and merged into the basic horde app
and horde_auth (http://wiki.horde.org/ReleaseManagement)

I'd like to push this (read: code the code) but I am currently not sure which
direction to go.

So far I did the following things:
* Introduce an injector / factory for passwd drivers
* Add a new "hordeauth" passwd driver with uses horde's configured auth
backend
* Convert the "sql" driver to Horde_Db

This was sufficient for me to use it internally for a small production
environment. I would not recommend that to the general public though.

So where to go?

For its main purpose, changing the user's horde account pw, passwd doesn't
need to be a separate app (as said in the roadmap).

But passwd is/was more generic and could be configured to change any password
in a given infrastructure independent of Horde. Such a feature should be a
separate app and not live somewhere under options or preferences. This could
evolve into a generic password/credentials manager but is a completely
different story.

I am not sure what is needed for a proper passwd H4 3.2 release but I've found
the following items:

 * convert the ldap backend to Horde_Ldap
 * Make sure the composite backend uses the injector instead of the base
class' factory method
 * remove that method
 * make sure things like Horde_Vfs are included via injector

I think I could basically do that before H4.1 but passwd ships a lot of
backends and I doubt I can build the infrastructure to test them all properly.
Would it be okay to drop some until somebody with the need, knowledge and
infrastructure re-introduces them?

On the other hand, if it's just meant to change Horde passwords and will be
dropped anyway, why bother with anything beyond what the hordeauth backend
does now?

Any comments welcome.

--
Ralf Lang