[horde] [SOLVED] error login : imp does not provide an authenticate() method

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jun 13 18:14:57 UTC 2011

Quoting Bruno Costacurta <techie at costacurta.org>:

>> Hello,
>>
>> after a Pear upgrade to latest IMP and Horde version H4,
>> I cannot log anymore to Horde.
>>
>> HORDE: HORDE [horde] imp does not provide an authenticate() method.
>> [pid 27819 on line 27 of
>> "/usr/share/php/Horde/Core/Notification/Handler/Decorator/Hordelog.php"]
>

> 'Solved' via a complete removal and re-installation of Horde.
> Certainly a brutal way but apparently it's the only choice. As I
> backup he database and previous conf.php files no personal settings
> were lost.

This shouldn't be necessary.

> Aside this 'solution' and (I insist here) with all respect to the
> Horde team for their job and contribution to this open source
> project, I would like to say that using Horde4 since few weeks (H3
> for around 2-years) I'm not convinced by H4.
> Got resolved and un-resolved errors with H4 (see mailing list archive),

Don't know what a "resolved" error means.

> also features present in H3 simply disappeared in H4 (eg. password module)

The password module has not "disappeared" - it has not yet been
released for H4.  Within the last few days there has been activity
focused on updating the code to allow a H4 release in the near future.

> and except some improvements in speed (eg. caching) there is no news
> features in Traditional user interface (user prefer Traditional mode
> because used to it).

That is just a flat out incorrect statement.  The list of major
changes in the CHANGELOG file indicates approximately 260 entries
between IMP 4 -> IMP 5.0.0.  While some of these changes may be
specific to a particular view, the vast majority are core changes to
IMP that affect all views.  Not to mention the large number of changes
in framework & base horde application that also affect the application.

michael