[horde] ActiveSync problem

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Mon Jul 18 02:43:29 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

>>> That sounds as if there are no more apace or php-cgi processes
>>> available to answer the HTTP requests, i.e., a configuration issue.
>>> --
>>> Mike
>>> Sent from mobile
>>>

>> Hmmm... Thanks Mike. I have been running Apache with a reduced
>> spareserver count and a faster server turnover as the Apache
>> instances tend to otherwise take over the server. Horde has been
>> running fine, but I will reset to out of box defaults and see how
>> it goes.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon
>> --
>
> OK, put Apache back to stock config for the prefork MPM -
>
> StartServers 8
> MinSpareServers 5
> MaxSpareServes 20
> ServerLimit 256
> MaxClients 256
> MaxRequestsPerChild 4000
>
> Note that at most I have 4 concurrent users.
>
> Restarted Apache. At first it worked, a contact made on the iPad
> appeared in Turba. Then it stopped, with no further edits or
> additions working. So I made a new contact in Turba, it synced, and
> then added an email address to it on the iPad. 30 minutes later that
> email address still was not in Turba. Restart Apache, and it comes
> through. No error messages in Apache log (Apache usually logs when
> it is running out of servers). Note also that a device activesync
> reset from Horde preferences works within seconds, as it appears
> does all server -> iPad sync traffic.
>
> This is a bog standard CentOS server with "yum install httpd", and
> the config is now as per out of box. If I need to boost Apache
> servers beyond standard to run Horde ActiveSync then some sort of
> guide as to "what and by how much" would be great. How does everyone
> else have their Apache configured?
>
> Boosting Apache beyond these will also require more RAM - the server
> has 1.5GB RAM, and ONLY runs Apache / PHP / Horde. Surely that's
> enough for Horde?

That seems odd, horde should run just find in 1gig of ram, though I
wouldn't if you have a lot of users using it. Currently my personal
email (only has about 10 users on it) has 2gigs of ram, running
everything
(postfix+dovecot+amavis+spamassassin+clamav+apache+php+ftp+mysql+quagga+...)

     StartServers          8
     MinSpareServers       8
     MaxSpareServers      10
     MaxClients           50
     MaxRequestsPerChild 1000

currently apache is using about 200megs of ram.

I would only load the min required php modules needed though, some of
them have nasty effects. I know for me, gd leaks memory, and smnp just
adds some kind of huge delay to each script start.