[horde] ActiveSync problem

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Mon Jul 18 02:56:50 UTC 2011

Quoting Patrick Domack <patrickdk at patrickdk.com>:

> Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

>>> Hmmm... Thanks Mike. I have been running Apache with a reduced
>>> spareserver count and a faster server turnover as the Apache
>>> instances tend to otherwise take over the server. Horde has been
>>> running fine, but I will reset to out of box defaults and see how
>>> it goes.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Simon
>>> --
>>
>> OK, put Apache back to stock config for the prefork MPM -
>>
>> StartServers 8
>> MinSpareServers 5
>> MaxSpareServes 20
>> ServerLimit 256
>> MaxClients 256
>> MaxRequestsPerChild 4000
>>
>> Note that at most I have 4 concurrent users.
>>
>> Restarted Apache. At first it worked, a contact made on the iPad
>> appeared in Turba. Then it stopped, with no further edits or
>> additions working. So I made a new contact in Turba, it synced, and
>> then added an email address to it on the iPad. 30 minutes later
>> that email address still was not in Turba. Restart Apache, and it
>> comes through. No error messages in Apache log (Apache usually logs
>> when it is running out of servers). Note also that a device
>> activesync reset from Horde preferences works within seconds, as it
>> appears does all server -> iPad sync traffic.
>>
>> This is a bog standard CentOS server with "yum install httpd", and
>> the config is now as per out of box. If I need to boost Apache
>> servers beyond standard to run Horde ActiveSync then some sort of
>> guide as to "what and by how much" would be great. How does
>> everyone else have their Apache configured?
>>
>> Boosting Apache beyond these will also require more RAM - the
>> server has 1.5GB RAM, and ONLY runs Apache / PHP / Horde. Surely
>> that's enough for Horde?
>
> That seems odd, horde should run just find in 1gig of ram, though I
> wouldn't if you have a lot of users using it. Currently my personal
> email (only has about 10 users on it) has 2gigs of ram, running
> everything
> (postfix+dovecot+amavis+spamassassin+clamav+apache+php+ftp+mysql+quagga+...)
>
>     StartServers          8
>     MinSpareServers       8
>     MaxSpareServers      10
>     MaxClients           50
>     MaxRequestsPerChild 1000
>
> currently apache is using about 200megs of ram.
>
> I would only load the min required php modules needed though, some
> of them have nasty effects. I know for me, gd leaks memory, and smnp
> just adds some kind of huge delay to each script start.

Thanks Patrick, will check what is being loaded. I haven't changed PHP
config other than adding modules needed by Horde and I had to change
memory to 128MB (was running fine on 96MB, but address book import
falls over).

I have just been doing more tests.

Horde -> iPad is virtually instant.

iPad -> Horde is now syncing a change, but it takes up to 30 minutes
during which time the iPad is constantly trying. For example I
modified a contact on the iPad at 12:11pm, and it synced with Turba at
12:36pm. During this time the iPad's network activity indicator is
constantly spinning.

During this period activesync logs the same "no changes" messages
every 5 seconds.

By contrast, if I change on my iPad a contact on my work Exchange
server it syncs back to Exchange immediately.

Simon