[horde] Can't change address book for activesync for iOS

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Tue Jul 19 13:46:03 UTC 2011

FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO EVER TRIES TO CHANGE AN ACTIVESYNC ADDRESS BOOK
FOR AN iOS DEVICE

After giving up on using LDAP as a decent backend source for
ActiveSync (addresses, multiple emails), I thought I'd switch to SQL.

Set up a new SQL address book in Turba's backends.local.php. Emptied
and cleared the old "personal_ldap", and disabled it in backends.

I could not get ActiveSync to move away from "personal_ldap"!!

I tried:

1. Disabled activesync entirely, and verified that the SQL activesync
tables are empty.
2. Removed the server connections on the iPad
3. Disabled all caching in Horde
4. Set Turba's $conf[client][addressbook] to be the SQL address book
(the line in conf.php reads $conf['client']['addressbook'] =
'UF-xYNJO7vlN3mNWdulCqEA';
5. In my prefs, set the SQL Address Book as the external devices sync
address book.
6. Restarted Apache
7. Held my tongue to the left and pinched my nose.   :)

Yet still, generating a new Exchnge connection to the Horde4 server,
no contacts came through, and the Horde AS log file said:

2011-07-19T23:16:33+10:00 ERR: Invalid address book: personal_ldap

personal_ldap isn't anywhere in my prefs SQL tables, a search of the
horde4 tree shows it only in the activesync log as noted above and in
backends.php where it is disabled. It's nowhere in
/usr/share/pear/Horde.

Finally -

8. Rebooted the iPad

Fixed it. GRRR! It must cache the server details somewhere.

Just to save anyone else the pain I thought I'd submit this to the group.

Simon.

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16