[horde] ActiveSync problem

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Thu Jul 21 06:44:09 UTC 2011

> Mike - thanks, on first check setting a forced heartbeat seems to
> have resolved it. I made an edit and it went through very quickly.
> Will follow up and look in more detail at the parameters that can be
> set later.
>
> I had looked at heartbeat but discounted it as the description
> inferred to me that it was server to client, which seemed to be
> working fine.
>
> Simon

Hmmm... having a forced heartbeat seems to possibly be sucking dry the
battery on my iPhone. By this stage of the day I'm usually still at
50% battery left, I'm down to 17% at the moment. Even a reboot to make
sure nothing else is chewing memory hasn't slowed it down.

Mike, can you elaborate on what the heartbeat tries to do? I have it
set to $conf[activesync][ping][forcedheartbeat] 25 and
$conf[activesync][ping][waitinterval] 15 at the moment. What does that
force the phone to do?

One thing I have noticed in the past with the iPhone is that if an
Exchange server is unavailable the phone chews through battery very
quickly trying to constantly reconnect. Whilst the server is up, I
wonder if the forced heartbeat is causing similar behaviour...

Simon