[horde] horde webmail attachments on server?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Aug 3 08:28:35 UTC 2011

Keep discussions on the list, and please don't top-post.

Zitat von Jui Kian Tan <juikian16 at hotmail.com>:

>> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 00:21:49 +0200
>> From: jan at horde.org
>> To: horde at lists.horde.org
>> Subject: Re: [horde] horde webmail attachments on server?
>>

>> Zitat von Jui Kian Tan <juikian16 at hotmail.com>:
>>
>> > Hi all, I am new to horde and am still trying to figure out how the
>> > whole horde webmail works. I have been trying out the webmail for a
>> > few weeks and I found that some of the attachment files I uploaded
>> > can still be found on the server in
>> > /home/e-smith/files/users/admin/home/ Is there a possibility that
>> > after I have deleted/purge my emails but the attachments in the
>> > email are still kept in the server? or is there some other ways that
>> > might result in this behavior? Thanks in advance!!!
>>
>> This is probably from attachment uploads when composing messages, that
>> have been sent though. It's a really strange place for such data
>> though. If that's supposed the server's temporary directory, there
>> should be some cleanup cronjob. If not, then I have no idea what the
>> attachment data has to do in there.
>>
> Hi Jan,
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
> I also noticed that the maildir files containing the attachment
> actually has the files embedded in the mail itself. So, I'm I right
> to say that attachments uploaded will only be stored on the server
> as temp files, which should be removed by the cleanup cronjob?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that those files *are* uploaded
attachments. We don't know nothing about your server setup, so this
could well be something completely different, like Word attachments as
Michael pointed out, or linked attachments that must not be deleted.
You are the only one to know what is being stored in this directory.