[horde] ActiveSync and email

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Aug 3 15:21:12 UTC 2011

Quoting Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com>:

> I'm sure the dev guys have been asked this all the time, but is
> there a plan to allow email be sync'd via ActiveSync?  I know one
> could open IMAP to the outside world and set a mobile mail client to
> use that protocol, but using Horde with a self-signed cert is a much
> more secure way of doing email than allowing the world to bang away
> on your imap server.  Is it doable, or is the protocol locked down
> that requires you sign your life away to Microsoft to get the
> communication details or possibly they want money to license the
> technology for email?

It's not an issue of licensing or protocol lockdown. The protocol
documentation is easily obtainable (though it's for the current
version of ActiveSync - older versions of the protocol can be figured
out with some guess work and traffic sniffing). The licensing issue
applies to the *entire* protocol. Since the licensing is only required
for running the protocol and making it available to users of your
server, The Horde Project leaves the question of licensing to the
administrators/organizations running Horde.

As far as email support. There is an open ticket for this already -
http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/10395

Given then number of requests and comments expressing interest, I am
becoming a bit more open to the idea of adding it, even considering
the limitations. No promises as to when I can even think about
starting this though. It would be great (and would speed things up a
bit) if an organization would be willing to sponsor this development.

> Great work on getting ActiveSync to work with Calendars, Contacts, and Tasks!

Thanks :)

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)