[horde] Successful sync - Thunderbolt and Horde4

Kevin M. Myer kmmyer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:10:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 19. August 2011, 00:06:57 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>> Quoting "Kevin M. Myer" <kmmyer at gmail.com>:
>> > Details:
>> >
>> > This was setup as Exchange ActiveSync account on phone, not using any
>> > third-party apps.  I pretty much followed the directions at
>> > http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync.  I am using the Alias in my Apache
>> > config, to redirect the requests.  There really is not a whole lot of
>> > exceptions or deviations from the directions to report - it just
>> > worked for the calendar.
>> >
>> > For the contacts, I've discovered that although I specified my Shared
>> > Directory address book (which is an Active Directory server) as a GAL
>> > source, I don't have an option to synchronize that address book as a
>> > sync source, in the turba prefs
>>
>>  From ActiveSync's point of view, the GAL is large, organiztion-wide,
>> read-only soure that is not synch'd. Rather, it is used as a search
>> source for certain operations like e.g., validating/auto-completing
>> email addresses while composing an email. IIRC (I don't have my iOS
>> device handy), iOS has a GAL search functionality. For Android, there
>> is a GAL application you can download.
>>
>>   Only my local SQL address book is
>>
>> > available in the turba preferences.
>>
>> The source has to be writeable, as well as listable, to be able to be
>> synch'd.
>>

> Michael,
> You're the man. I've been wondering why it fails all the time for the global
> addressbook but succeeds for any number of user's personal addressbooks.
>
> I want to provision an optional readonly company addressbook to android
> devices. Users should be able to have or have not these entries but not to
> change anything serverside.
>
> Is there really any writing involved or does the source only need to pretend
> these features? What if a backend would mock writing?
>
> --
> Ralf Lang
> Linux Consultant / Developer
>
> B1 Systems GmbH
> Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg / http://www.b1-systems.de
> GF: Ralph Dehner / Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537

I was wondering as well - how does the Horde implementation of
ActiveSync ultimately determine that a source is read-only?  Is there
a trial write test?  I can't find anything in my turba config that
specifies that my Shared Directory source (Active Directory) is
read-only.  In fact, in one configuration, my setup would have been
read-write.  I removed my Shared Directory as the GAL and it still is
not one of the address books that can be synchronized.  I'd ultimately
like to do the same thing as Ralf is looking for - I'd like to present
an address book to users with all company contacts in it, one-way sync
only.

Thanks,
Kevin