[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Tue Sep 6 14:40:34 UTC 2011

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> the

>> > Because it is the way human brain works. Take a look at cars before
>> automatic gear box. You had to know at least minor things about how car
>> operates to do good over the wheel. Now, every older lady down the street
>> can do grocery shopping. Sure it does a little bit less miles to
>> the gallon this
>> way, or you never want to ride automatic gear box in the race. But
>> this is only
>> important for power users. And they always be a minority.
>> >
>> > The same goes with every device you own at home, including software.
>>
>> sorry but it is idiotic to take the decision "reply" or "reply all"
>> away from the
>> users
>> this makes NOTHING easier, it makes it more complex for everybody who
>> knows what he
>
> As others already pointed out, it's not "taken away". For users who
> *really* know what they are doing it is there, under drop down menu.

The problem is that most users know Outlook, and Outlook has a Reply
button which means "Reply to Sender".  That label/button is ingrained
into people...you can't change it.  So, when a Horde user sees a
"Reply" button, they will logically assume it is going to the person
that sent the message.  Sure, there is a pop-up that indicates what is
going to happen, but habits are hard to break.  I think there should
be another button like Outlook has for "Reply To All"; or if you
insist on the one-button-to-rule-them-all, make the button text say
something like "Reply To..." and force the user choose what they want.
  I don't think any button with logic behind it should automatically
make a default selection, especially with a heated debate about what
the default should be.  Developers seem to like their feature, while
users/administrators want to change it.

>> wants to do and in my opinion everybody who do not realize the difference
>> between both
>> should not use a computer at all
>
> You do realize that like 98% of computer users doesn't know the
> difference between forward or reply, don't you? Or even what *is*
> the mailing list?

And THIS is the reason for the default.  The Horde list people grew
tired of people hitting "Reply" and not having it go to the list and
then had to explain to the user how to use the list appropriately.  I
can deal with switching between email clients and an extra click to do
what I want, but most people don't pay attention, which is the point
you make above:  "98% of computer users doesn't know the difference
between forward or reply".

I'm all for progress in the UI, and I personally don't mind the new
feature.  As as administrator, however, the change is actually quite
drastic and that's why people are asking for the previous behaviour.
It won't matter how much information you send out to your users
pimping the new features of the uber-Horde, the first time a
high-level exec hits "Reply" and says something disparaging to the
sender of the message and didn't notice it went out as "Reply to All"
who/what is going to be blamed?

I think there's a Dilbert cartoon in there somewhere.

brent