[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Sep 6 09:20:35 UTC 2011

> the
> >> users when they want to reply.  So
> >>>
> >> why does the whole world think it is better to hide options
> >> from users and think anybody is confused if he can select
> >> between "reply to sender" or "reply to sender and all others"
> > Because it is the way human brain works. Take a look at cars before
> automatic gear box. You had to know at least minor things about how car
> operates to do good over the wheel. Now, every older lady down the street
> can do grocery shopping. Sure it does a little bit less miles to the gallon this
> way, or you never want to ride automatic gear box in the race. But this is only
> important for power users. And they always be a minority.
> >
> > The same goes with every device you own at home, including software.
>
> sorry but it is idiotic to take the decision "reply" or "reply all" away from the
> users
> this makes NOTHING easier, it makes it more complex for everybody who
> knows what he

As others already pointed out, it's not "taken away". For users who *really* know what they are doing it is there, under drop down menu.

> wants to do and in my opinion everybody who do not realize the difference
> between both
> should not use a computer at all

You do realize that like 98% of computer users doesn't know the difference between forward or reply, don't you? Or even what *is* the mailing list?

> what with such decisions taking all options away from the users happens is
> that
> you take away the possibilty for new users ever get a power-user because
> they
> never had a chance to learn and understand - if software-development will
> not
> leave this wrong way finally we well have only idiots out there some
> generations
> later

As said before, there is nothing wrong to be computer illiterate. Computer is just a tool. As any other. There are far greater things to do/solve in life than to think to "Reply" or to "Reply All" :).

--
  Vilius