[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Tue Sep 6 16:20:50 UTC 2011

> Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:
>
>> I couldn't agree more.  I'm not sure that I personally care one way
>> or the other.  But I know users care a great deal (there's a Chief
>> Exec in the UK at the moment getting roasted because of an email he
>> replied-to-all when he wanted to forward it and he's using the
>> ridiculous defence that his account was hacked).  Not that this
>> would have prevented his stupidity.  But as an admin, I'd like to
>> be able to go into the configuration and set the default behaviour.
>>  I use IMP, Gnome, Gmail, Outlook,  Evolution and a couple of
>> mobile clients all day long and the two I find most annoying are
>> the ones with this behaviour.  Programmatically, it isn't
>> difficult, and if I had the skills, I'd patch it myself.  If the
>> Horde team aren't willing to compromise their principles, I can
>> live with that - I just hope someone can provide a patch.  But
>> ultimately, I'd like to see it as a configuration option.
>
> As mentioned before, this is *not* something that can (or will) be a
> configuration option.  A blanket approach locking the reply button
> into the wrong behavior (e.g. Reply to Sender for a message with
> multiple recipients) is simply not acceptable.
>
> michael

Zowie.  The reply button is currently locked.  In your opinion, it is
locked into the correct behavior, other people feel it is locked into
the wrong behavior.  So, we are at an impasse.  Because of the belief
in how the button should behave, it would seem that the button should
be customizable with the default being "Reply to All".  As the
developers seem unwilling to change the behaviour of the button,
perhaps just changing the text to "Reply To ..." would probably work
for everybody as it would hopefully make people THINK (if even for a
second) about what the button is about to do?