[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 7 16:20:23 UTC 2011

> Luckily in the dynamic view, with javascript, we are able to more
> correctly hide the drop-down effect until desired to be shown by the
> viewer.

Un-luckily, it appears we to hide it too well, and people don't even
notice that the option is there...  So we need to find a way that it
is obvious that there is an option, but also no-obtrusive at the same
time.

> And as I and others have demonstrated, there is no reply to all "problem".

Yes, there is...

> You continually ignore the fact that we DO NOT ALLOW AUTOMATIC REPLY
> TO ALL WITHOUT FIRST WARNING THE USER.

If people don't see the option to change the default, and don't understand
the warning (both have been pointed out on the list as issues) then
there is a problem.  Maybe it is just icon/font size, maybe it is
poor positioning, maybe it is color, who knows.  But there is a problem.

>  You never mention this.  Your argument /seems/ to be (since it is
> not clear at all) that this is unacceptable because a user "in a
> hurry" will ignore these warnings.

They may ignore them, or they may never see them (that is not the same
as ignoring them), or they may click on the wrong thing thinking they
are clicking on the correct thing. So we have at least three complaints
here.  You can chuck the "ignore" argument if you want, but that still
leaves two more valid arguments about the UI design.

> The solution is surely **not** to break the correct functionality
> for every other user

Correct.

> just because some users HYPOTHETICALLY may accidentally send a
> damaging message out (how often does one send a "damaging" message
> anyway?  This is just speculative rhetoric at best).

No, this is a real threat, not a hypothetical.  The fact that it occurs
rarely doesn't dismiss it from being a problem.

> (Not that it matters, but I have already committed some tweaks to
> the auto-reply notification code based on comments that arose during
> the list discussion.)

Thanks!  Just shows that constructive comments do actually make a difference,
and that rants are rightly ignored (at least as far as making changes, though
not neccessarily as far as e-mail threads go).

> michael

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.