[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:05:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Eric Jon Rostetter
<eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> They all have dual reply options, and this has been common
>
> That seems to be open for debate.  I've seem people say yes, and others
> say no, so I really don't know.  I don't use any of those clients, so
> I really can't say.

I checked my own accounts and googled screen shots
for things I don't run like Mac Mail.  Check it yourself,
virtually everyone has two reply options. whether word
links or buttons.

>> My response is, this does not prevent the problem of errant
>
> I saw a "reply to all" incident back in the 1980's that resulted in
> a person losing their job.  The fact that there was a separate "reply"
> and "reply to all" didn't help this person at all.  This was before outlook,
> gmail, thunderbird, et al.  This problem has existed since the day someone
> had the idea to create a "reply to all" function in the email client.  And
> it will  exist until the day we remove "reply to all" which I don't think
> will ever happen.
>
> In other words, you can not prevent the problem of an errant reply all.
> You can only reduce the likelyhood of it.  And if you insist that the
> problem be completely fixed (only possible IMHO by not providing reply
> to all at all), then you are not being part of the solution of minimizing
> its impact...

Agree that it won't absolutely prevent it.

Painting "Women" on a female washroom won't prevent all
men from entering, but it sure helps as a label doesn't it?

Contrast that with only labeling the washroom, "washroom".

Do you see my point?

>>  In fact
>> you have introduced a problem by having one button.
>
> But IMP (traditional) only has one button, and you say it isn't a problem.
> So you contradict yourself.

I see one button, but when I get there with the mouse, two
buttons appear, triggered by a mouseover event.  That is
just as good as two buttons mortared into the UI.  A mysterious
tiny arrow near the word Reply requiring a click is not the same.

Personally I'll never use arrow icons like that unless I
was looking for something I was sure should be in there
somewhere and I am checking every single menu item
(e.g. view source).