[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 8 18:30:33 UTC 2011

Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:

> I checked my own accounts and googled screen shots
> for things I don't run like Mac Mail.  Check it yourself,
> virtually everyone has two reply options. whether word
> links or buttons.

I had someone bring in a Mac laptop with 3 e-mail clients on it today.
All clients were pretty current, which helps too.  The situation was:

1) Mac Mail.app has always two buttons (reply, reply to all)
2) Outlook has always too buttons (reply, reply to all)
3) Thunderbird has sometimes one button, sometimes two buttons, depending
    on how many people are available for a reply. Both buttons have a _tiny_
    little arrow to reveal more options, even when no additional options are
    available.  This explains why some people insisted it had two and others
    insisted it only had one (how many it has changes per message).

Thunderbird is real interesting in these respects:
1) The interface changes from message to message (sometimes one button,
    sometimes two buttons).
2) The tiny arrow is hard to see and interpret (maybe like Horde/DIMP?)
3) The tiny arrow appears even when no other options are available!
4) If only one button (reply), the tiny arrow appears on it.  But if
    two buttons, it appears on "reply to all" instead of on "reply".  Another
    interface change that seems random (but isn't).

I'd have to say I don't much like the thunderbird UI, nor really the Apple
UI either (buttons without text, only a mouse-over reveals what the buttons
do).  Outlook is okay, using text and buttons/icons both, with two buttons
for reply and reply to all.

None-the-less, I'm still not feeling we need to add more buttons/icons/text
to Horde/DIMP.   I have a feeling the tweaks done and/or suggested so far
would be sufficient.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.