[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Thu Sep 8 04:58:29 UTC 2011

----- Message from Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> ---------
    Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:16:48 -0700
    From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
Subject: Re: [horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp
      To: horde at lists.horde.org

<snip>
> All of that said, I'm rather surprised that you would so blatantly
> expose yourself to offering absolutely no value to open source
> implementation whatsoever. If you can only follow installation
> instructions, you are nothing better than a monkey with a keyboard.
<snip>
> Craig

----- End message from Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> -----

I haven't bought into this argument so far because I actually don't
have a problem with the default behaviour. But with the small family
userbase I run training users is not hard, so it's irrelevant really.
I'm also pretty laid back...however when I read this garbage I had to
respond. Not sure what you think you are adding with your comments
other then descending to levels already well plumbed in this thread,
but elitist egotistical comments like this just serve to reinforce
unhelpful and negative stereotypes about the Open Source community.
The Open Source Community is made up of a wide range of people who
contribute from a wide range of perspectives, from code gurus through
geeks who like playing, to admins who are doing it for work, right
through to end users who have zero Open Source knowledge (nor should
they need to).

Your comments that "monkeys with keyboards" and people who can only
offer feedback and user impressions add no value to the OS community
is offensive to all, and to the intent of the community, even to those
of us who do contribute work / patches, etc. Feedback should always be
welcome from any source, regardless of whether that person supplies a
patch, and offers value if considered. I have my own opinions about
how that feedback has been given in this instance, but responding like
this is IMHO not necessary or constructive.

Giving benefit of the doubt hopefully you have just been frustrated by
the crap that has been circulating in this thread... I know I have... :)

Simon Wilson.