[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 8 08:00:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 14:58 +1000, Simon Wilson wrote:
> ----- Message from Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> ---------
>     Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:16:48 -0700
>     From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> Subject: Re: [horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp
>       To: horde at lists.horde.org
>
> <snip>
> > All of that said, I'm rather surprised that you would so blatantly
> > expose yourself to offering absolutely no value to open source
> > implementation whatsoever. If you can only follow installation
> > instructions, you are nothing better than a monkey with a keyboard.
> <snip>
> > Craig
> >
> ----- End message from Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> -----
>
> I haven't bought into this argument so far because I actually don't
> have a problem with the default behaviour. But with the small family
> userbase I run training users is not hard, so it's irrelevant really.
> I'm also pretty laid back...however when I read this garbage I had to
> respond. Not sure what you think you are adding with your comments
> other then descending to levels already well plumbed in this thread,
> but elitist egotistical comments like this just serve to reinforce
> unhelpful and negative stereotypes about the Open Source community.
> The Open Source Community is made up of a wide range of people who
> contribute from a wide range of perspectives, from code gurus through
> geeks who like playing, to admins who are doing it for work, right
> through to end users who have zero Open Source knowledge (nor should
> they need to).
>
> Your comments that "monkeys with keyboards" and people who can only
> offer feedback and user impressions add no value to the OS community
> is offensive to all, and to the intent of the community, even to those
> of us who do contribute work / patches, etc. Feedback should always be
> welcome from any source, regardless of whether that person supplies a
> patch, and offers value if considered. I have my own opinions about
> how that feedback has been given in this instance, but responding like
> this is IMHO not necessary or constructive.
>
> Giving benefit of the doubt hopefully you have just been frustrated by
> the crap that has been circulating in this thread... I know I have... :)
----
Let me see now... "Go ahead and damage lives out of ignorance."

Are you suggesting that this is valuable feedback?

Jan and Michael have not only delivered a fantastic upgrade but have
been engaged with the users on the various lists. If you don't know of
open source projects where the primary developers stop interacting with
the user base because of the enormous time suck dealing with ignorant
and ungrateful users then you haven't been around much. At some point,
users who understand the project and the open source process can be
useful by filling the gap. I thought it was not only constructive but
necessary... you don't have to necessarily agree.

Craig

believed to be clean.