[horde] Sending long emails fails every time

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:25:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> Zitat von Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:
>

>>> Zitat von Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 <at> gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>  Hi,  I remember to have written to the mail list a few months ago
>>> regarding
>>>  problems sending lengthy emails...  I am trying to reply to Mike
>>> Rubinsky &
>>>  the list about my problems with ActiveSync but I cant send the email
>>>  (reply) because I get a red popup saying:
>>>
>>>  "There was an error sending your message:  Failed to send data [SMTP:
>>>  Invalid response code received from server (code: -1, response: )]"
>>>
>>>  Attached is my horde log that relates what happens when I try to send
>>>  such long emails...
>>>
>>>  You better check your SMTP server's log.
>>>
>>>  Jan.
>>>

>> Like I said, I am using GMail's SMTP server to send emails. I do not have
>> my own SMTP server so I dont know which SMTP log to look at... I dont
>> believe my SMTP settings are defective...
>> I can send any kind of email except lenghty ones...
>>
>> Settings from the Administration > Horde > Mailer tab:
>>
>> * $conf[mailer][type]         Use a SMTP Server
>>
>> $conf[mailer][params][host]     smtp.gmail.com
>>
>> $conf[mailer][params][port]     587
>>
>> $conf[mailer][params][localhost]     EMPTY
>>
>> * $conf[mailer][params][auth]     Best available authentication
>>
>> $conf[mailer][params][username]     my email....
>>
>> $conf[mailer][params][password]     my password....
>>
>> Further directions to debug this would be appreciated.
>> Thanks!
>
> $conf['mailer']['params']['debug'] = true;
>
> Test with the traditional view.
>
> Jan.

> http://horde.org/consulting/

Jan,  this is far from getting better.  I had to send this email via
Gmail directly because horde would refuse to send the email, no matter
how much I had trimmed it... I am beginning to believe the length of
the email has nothing (or very little) to do with the problem (see
below).  Attached is the horde log that was generated for an email
sent via the dynamic interface and that failed.  I hope the log will
help you pinpoint the problem.  I also tried as you suggested to send
from the traditional interface, and every thing seems to work without
apparent problems.

Somehow it seems to be related to the interface protocol...  I noticed
the red popup changes from time to time, with errors such as

"Failed to communicate with the server"
"The connection with the server has been lost"
"An error occured when communicating with the server"...

Please let me know if I can do more.

Louis-Philippe