[horde] Language selection on the login screen

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Oct 18 07:16:31 UTC 2011

Hi!

Yesterday a few of the devs discussed the language selection on the
login screen. The bottom line was that this selection only takes
effect if the user did not set the language in the preferences.

I also received a short tweet by someone wondering about the language
selection on demo.horde.org. He selected "English" and got French text.

Now I thought that it makes sense to lock the "language" preference on
demo.horde.org so that the login selection always holds. But when I do
that the language selection is no longer displayed on the login screen.

Is there another workaround?

And usability-wise I still wonder if it makes any sense to prominently
place a language selection on the first screen the user sees if this
has no effect whatsoever in case the user set his language preference.
Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the language selection as a login
task in case it has not been set yet?

Cheers,

Gunnar

--