[horde] Language selection on the login screen

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Oct 18 08:03:38 UTC 2011

Zitat von Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:

> Hi!
>
> Yesterday a few of the devs discussed the language selection on the
> login screen. The bottom line was that this selection only takes
> effect if the user did not set the language in the preferences.
>
> I also received a short tweet by someone wondering about the
> language selection on demo.horde.org. He selected "English" and got
> French text.
>
> Now I thought that it makes sense to lock the "language" preference
> on demo.horde.org so that the login selection always holds. But when
> I do that the language selection is no longer displayed on the login
> screen.
>
> Is there another workaround?

Beside resetting the pref on the demo server from time to time, no.

> And usability-wise I still wonder if it makes any sense to
> prominently place a language selection on the first screen the user
> sees if this has no effect whatsoever in case the user set his
> language preference. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the
> language selection as a login task in case it has not been set yet?

I don't think that makes sense, because for most people the default
selection on the login screen is just fine, and adding another step
during login is rather annoying. This is only a problem if several
users with different languages share the same account. Which should
not happen in any real world scenario but demo servers.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/