[horde] Language selection on the login screen

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Oct 18 13:48:37 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Yesterday a few of the devs discussed the language selection on the
>> login screen. The bottom line was that this selection only takes
>> effect if the user did not set the language in the preferences.
>>
>> I also received a short tweet by someone wondering about the
>> language selection on demo.horde.org. He selected "English" and got
>> French text.
>>
>> Now I thought that it makes sense to lock the "language" preference
>> on demo.horde.org so that the login selection always holds. But
>> when I do that the language selection is no longer displayed on the
>> login screen.
>>
>> Is there another workaround?
>
> Beside resetting the pref on the demo server from time to time, no.
>
>> And usability-wise I still wonder if it makes any sense to
>> prominently place a language selection on the first screen the user
>> sees if this has no effect whatsoever in case the user set his
>> language preference. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the
>> language selection as a login task in case it has not been set yet?
>
> I don't think that makes sense, because for most people the default
> selection on the login screen is just fine, and adding another step
> during login is rather annoying. This is only a problem if several
> users with different languages share the same account. Which should
> not happen in any real world scenario but demo servers.

What about something like what the view mode selection does? Provide a
Default/Automatic choice for the language that would cause the user
preference to be enforced. If the user does not have a pref set, use a
admin-defined default and show the user a notification that we have
choosen a language since no pref was set. Selecting a language
explicitly on the login screen would overide the user's pref.

I understand the reasoning for the way it currently operates, but it
*did* take me by surprise when I selected Deutsch and got english text
- my first thought was that language selection was broken. I'm a dev,
so I imagine a typical user could be just as, if not more, confused by
this.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)