[horde] Odd message flag options in Imp 5.0.14

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 25 16:35:19 UTC 2011

Quoting Ole Wolf <ole at naturloven.dk>:

> It appears that Imp is getting the allowed message flags via the
> IMAP server, which in my case happened to include garbage (probably
> introduced by the Kmail client, judging from the flag names). Would
> it make sense to have Imp check the allowed flags for validity?

They are not garbage - these are the flags reported as being present
in the mailbox by the IMAP server (PERMANENTFLAGS response when
SELECTing a mailbox).  The issue is that these flags (actually called
keywords by the RFC) have no meaning by themselves - it is up to each
individual MUA to handle them as appropriate.  Since these keywords
can't contain non-ASCII or spaces, they are of very little value by
themselves.

This is why, if you create a flag in thunderbird, you won't see that
flag in IMP (if 'show_all_flags' is off).  Several months ago on the
IMAP list, I floated a proposal to allow keywords to be self-contained
- in other words, the key-word itself contains the full description of
the flag.  At some point, I may get around to drafting a proposed RFC
since the support was there for such an extension.

michael