[horde] Performance problems with Horde 4

Montagutelli Xavier xavier.montagutelli at unilim.fr
Thu Nov 3 20:23:55 UTC 2011

We face serious performance problems with Horde 4.

Our "old" setup with Horde 3 runs on a Xeon server. On the same
hardware, H4 is unusable. The new system is under Debian squeeze, with
as many native packages as possible. I have tried both apache2 prefork
+ mod_php5 vs. apache2 worker + php5 fast CGI. MySQL (unix sockets)
and memcache are running on the same server. CSS and JS caching is
enabled.

One or two minutes after launching apache2, we have "MaxClient"
processes (when using prefork, fixed at 300), the four CPUs stays at
100% (mainly user time), the load average increases. H4 sometimes
becomes unresponsive, with strange error messages ("no handler for
/imp", CSS not delivered, etc.).

Having decreased the PHP parameter max_execution_time (10 s) helps a
little bit. MaxRequestsPerChild doesn't change anything. We have tried
the apc accelerator. Memcache consumes few memory (~120 MB) despite
using the "-m 1024" switch to increase its upper limit.

It looks like PHP is "eating" all the CPU given to it. Something must
be wrong in my setup ?? Do someone use H4 with more than 200
simultaneous users on the same server ? Do you use Debian or another
distro ?

I know it's a bit vague, but I don't understand how to handle this
problem. Any help wanted ...

--
Xavier Montagutelli
SERVICE COMMUN INFORMATIQUE