[horde] iPhone 4 replacement

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 15:01:52 UTC 2011

> Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:
>> Quoting Marc Fellman <marc.fellman at gmail.com>:   > Hi,
>>>
>>>     Not shure about Horde support but I would go for a Google Nexus Galaxy
>>>     (or is it Google Galaxy Nexus :-S )
>>>
>>>     Just my 2ct
>>>
>>>     Marc
>>>
>>>     2011/11/17 Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:  >
>>> Hi horde users!    > ...
>>>     --
>>>     Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
>>>
>>>     Marc Fellman
>>>     wave:marc.fellman at googlewave.com
>>    Any Horde devs can comment on my question?
>   I will assume your question relates to syncing, since web-access
> to Horde should be failry consistent across all of these devices. To
> that extent, I can comment on ActiveSync support:
>
>   I am still using the original Motorola Droid as my day-to-day
> phone. I plan to change to the [Galaxy|Prime|Droid] Nexus when it is
> finally released. Obviously, I have no idea if there are any issues
> with the ActiveSync implementation as it relates to Horde as I have
> not yet used the new device.
>
>   The only other devices that I, personally, have used with Horde
> are various iOS devices (iPod,iPhone,iPad). A friend of mine uses
> the Droid 3(?) and has reported no problems to me.
>> http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync [1] seems to mention that the
>> Motorola Droid
>>    does not play well with horde... Am I wrong?
>   What problems are you referring to? I use it on a daily basis and
> do not normally run into any problems.
>
>   The major drawback to the earlier, native, Droid implementations
> is that they do not support provisioning (so no enforced security
> policies and no remote-wipe ability). From what I understand this is
> now supported, though I have not tried it myself.
>
>   Of course there is always the chance that there will be some
> issues regardless of the device you pick. From my work with this,
> one thing that I have noticed is that just about every vendor does
> *something* that is not part of the published specification...and we
> try our best to work around these issues as they occur.
>
>   --
>   mike

Thanks Mike for replying.  I may have been confusedby the different names
the phone has in other countries.  Here in Canada, the Motorola Droid Razr
(one of the models I am interested in) is simply called Motorola Razr.  I
thought the "Motorola Droid" that is on the
http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync[1]was referring to the Motorola Droid
Razr... Is it?

As for this phone, it ships from the provider (Rogers Canada) with Android
2.3
(http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_Detailed=XT910BLKR&N=52+11#)

There is so many brands, versions, OS'es , models, its overwhelming to
make a clear and informed decision......

Any help would be appreciated, I really dont want to change my iphone 4
(iOS5.0.1) for a worst phone....  I currently use AS and my contacts,
calendar and tasks all seems to sync very well at this time.  And of
course, yes the web interfaces should be pretty much cross platform and
work well...
Thanks!!

Louis-Philippe Allard
lp.allard.1 at gmail.com