[horde] Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Mon Jan 9 19:00:05 UTC 2012

Citējot Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>
Mon, 09 Jan 2012 19:14:23 +0100:

> Hello Jānis,
> The main reason for giving such a redesign a high priority is the
> fact that we have been told many times that Horde looks outdated in
> comparison to similar applications.
>
> My own experience has been kind of desastrous in that regard: Kolab
> Systems is currently trying to move the Kolab ecosystem from Horde
> to Roundcube. To a large part due to the fact that is is being
> considered "to look slicker".
>
> Roundcube is not the only contender in that area. Google, Tine 2.0,
> Open-Xchange, Zarafa all offer frontends with a more consistent
> interface than what we provide at the moment.

the next is not about Horde:

I have impression that most of "interface improvements" are mostly
marketoid-driven efforts (because "we must have a new product with
astonishing look") and during the process the most important thing
often is forgotten: the product, besides looking "super-duper", must
do the work it is intended to and, in the best case, as glitch-less as
possible.

I am very poor indicator as I hate the progress for the sake of
progress, but what I see during my working day at some institution
employing around 130 people:

- people mostly hates Windows7 and stick with XpSP3;
- people are mostly conservative and stick with MSO2003 instead of
falling in love with MSO2007+

Of course, there are about 10-15% who thinks that the best tools for
the work are the ones from bleeding edge. The reason behind it I see
as the extremely high level of software piracy for private use on one
hand and the popularity of software-bundled laptops with the latest
releases of Win+MSO on the second.

---

If I may suggest one functionality for the Horde from proprietary
software world - ability to change the attachment and save the changed
one with the letter (as Outlook does) - I did not met any other
product offering it and I must add, that it is very popular among
bureaucracy.

Janis