[horde] Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jan 16 04:26:04 UTC 2012

Quoting Maciej Uhlig <maciej.uhlig at us.edu.pl>:

> The most serious issue with all these is three _different_ user
> interfaces while we should have only one. The most straightforward and
> quick fix (according to Kaizen continuous improvement philosophy) is to
> give all aplications the old interface (i.e. old good sidebar) with
> dynamic capabilities. This shouldn't be very difficult as far as dynamic
> Imp is concerned. I don't know about Kronolith, but it's 10% only.

You are right: it's not difficult.  It is IMPOSSIBLE.  The old sidebar
(i.e. in traditional mode) is completely different structurally from
the new sidebar (i.e. in dimp).

 From a historical perspective: people have to realize that the dimp
sidebar was NEVER intended to work for anything else other than dimp.
It's good that we are talking about this now, but it's not like we
purposely decided to make three different UI interfaces.  When dimp
was being developed (2006-07ish), it was the only dynamic application
under development and, more important, I was only being paid to
develop a solution that worked in dimp.

I wish we had an army of 10 engineers working on the backend code, and
5 in-house UI/graphics people.  But we don't.   Much like any
open-source project, features come first - later, the interface
becomes polished.  Which is not a bad thing - interface polishing
occurs after feedback on feature-usage, which is more useful
information than vice versa.

michael