[horde] Large numbers of open sessions

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Jan 25 19:11:27 UTC 2012

On 25 January 2012 13:48, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> I'm still not clear why some are seeing this and some are not. I am using
>> IMP auth as well, and don't see anywhere near that frequency of requests.
>> ./horde-active-sessions on my production machine has fluctuated between 0,
>> 1, 2 for the last hour. I have at least one device actively syncing right
>> now.
>

> Only thing I can think of is that maybe ActiveSync support in Android 2.2 is
> flaky/weak, and that's what accounts for the excessive number of server hits
> (?).
>
> Wish I could upgrade to 2.3, but that's pretty much a no-go with the limited
> memory of the Droid 1.

Actually I enjoyed significant improvement in speed when I upgraded my
OG Droid to Peter Alfonso's 2.3.4 stock image.  I'm now running CM7
with 2.3.7 and am quite happy with that too.

For comparison, I ran /usr/bin/horde-active-sessions on my debian
squeeze box with the latest Horde packages and came up with 181 open
sessions.  Of course I have only a few a users and only 2 (both on
Android) using the activesync.  So, this is high, in my opinion, by
manageable.

On a related note, I did have to ask on the Dovecot list about the
number of connections per IP parameter because the other Android user
keeps hitting the limit (they use IMP more than I do).

Lastly, since setting up the other user to use Activesync, the dovecot
log fills with about 5 auth failed log messages an hour all from
127.0.0.1

The only problem I have with my OG Droid is that I cannot create of
edit contacts on the device, no matter which ROM I'm using.  The data
fields are just not there.  I can create the contact but I can only
fill in the name.  This will sync with the server, and then I add the
details on the server and it syncs back to the device.  I've never
been able to debug that.

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread, just add my
active-sessions data to your analysis.

Simon