[horde] Can't sync calendar & contacts, ActiveSync, horde4, android 4.0.2

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Feb 2 22:16:51 UTC 2012

Quoting Daniel Basa <daniel at luli.de>:

> Am 02.02.2012 16:24, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>> Quoting Daniel Basa <daniel at luli.de>:
>>> Am 02.02.2012 15:47, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>>>
>>> As long as there is no other setting which i can use to squeeze more out
>>> of horde, what you see aboveis the abbreviated part of my complete sync
>>> log. My settings for Active Sync Logging are as follows:
>>>
>>> Logging
>>> * $conf[activesync][logging][type] = Custom
>>> * $conf[activesync][logging][path] = /path/to/activesync.log
>>>
>>> Horde logging is set the debug, but the messages displayed there seem to
>>> be associated with syncing. (new syncing does not provide new entries
>>> there)
>>>
>>> I got no php errors
>>>
>>> Here my complete activesync.log:
>>
>> You should have a device-specific log file in that same directory. Named
>> something like androidxxxxxxxxxx.log. That's where all the entries go,
>> once we know the device id. Otherwise, it's impossible to debug a
>> problem on a server with more than 1 or 2 devices actively syncing :)
>>
>> The log you posted below looks like it was from the default
>> activesync.log file, which would only receive messages when we don't
>> have a device_id.
>>
>>> 2012-01-13T08:28:06+01:00 INFO: Horde_ActiveSync_Driver_Horde::logon
>>> attempt for:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> I don't know about wiretrace, but I will check out what it is and how
>>> its done.
>>
>> Let's try the above mentioned device specific log first...
>
> Thank you very much. I simply overlooked the device specific logfile.
> I checked that logfile. I am not sure what and when horde logs stuff to
> this file.

It logs EVERY bit of of the protocol between the device and the
server, so anytime your device connects to Horde, something gets logged.

> But my last sync attempts where today (2012-02-02), but
> neither today or yesterday anything was written to this logfile.

Then your device is not communicating with Horde. It could be that
something caused it to stop trying, or it could be that either the
device or Horde is not configured properly.

> The
> last entry is from th 31st of Jnuary 2012. I don't remember exactly what
> I did that day, but I think I created new accounts on my phone several
> times. Is it possible that horde just logs these first logon attempts?

No.

> I also recognized that there are lines indicating a sync of mail
> (inbox).

This is a fake syncronization attempt for email. It is necessary for
the device to think that email is syncing properly since a number of
devices (including the Galaxy Nexus) will not send meeting request
messages if the INBOX is not syncing. Nothing is polled on the IMAP
server.

> I don't want to sync mail using horde (thought that would not
> work?). I am using z-push to sync/push mail.

Correct. Horde currently does not support email synchronization via
activesync. This was left out originally for a variety of reasons -
including the fact that the native email support in most devices is
far superior to what activesync can provide. That being said, we are
working on getting this implemented for Horde 4.1 which will be out in
May.

I'm curious as to why you feel ZPush's email support provides a better
experience than either Android's native client, or an app like K-9 mail?

Anyway, how did you configure ZPush and Horde? Hopefully on either
different (sub)domains. If you configured your device with two
different exchange accounts, both pointing at the same server, this
will cause lots of problems.

> Here's the log file. I think it's five times the same log for different
> login attempts. But I am not sure so I didn't snip it.

The device is connecting, getting the list of folders/collections to
sync and then disconnecting. That part is normal. What's not normal
though is that it never attempts to connect again for the next step in
the process, the initial SYNC command. The only things I can think of
that would cause this are some type of corrupt data being sent to the
device (does not look like it from the logs, though a wiretrace would
be needed to rule that out), the device is not set to actively push
contacts/calendar for this account, or something is conflicting
between your ZPush and Horde setups.

Past that, I'm out of ideas, unless you want to provide a network
trace. Maybe somthing will show up there.

Oh, one more thing - you didn't by any chance turn off the email sync
for this account on the device did you? For this device (or maybe for
ICS in general), this is REQUIRED to be enabled, otherwise even if you
have enabled calendar and contacts the device will never perform the
initial SYNC - which it doesn't seem to be doing... I think I have a
note about that on the wiki page I referred you to earlier.

<snip>
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)