[horde] Wrong Birthday entry in Contacts ActiveSync & Andoird ICS 4.0.2

Daniel Basa daniel at luli.de
Thu Mar 1 15:58:34 UTC 2012

Am 01.03.2012 16:49, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:

> Quoting Daniel Basa <daniel at luli.de>:

>>> Earlier Android "Contact" apps did not even support birthdays and would
>>> display them exactly as sent i.e., as the standard date/time string in
>>> UTC. The app in ICS, though, does have support for the birthday field
>>> and is working for on my Galaxy Nexus device.
>>>
>>> If you generate a sync log that includes the contact data being sent to
>>> the device, I can try to take a look and see if anything weird pops out.
>>> Also, does the timezone on the device match the timezone in your Horde
>>> account prefs? Just grasping at straws though since it shouldn't really
>>> matter; I don't see how tz can matter since tz data is not sent as part
>>> of the protocol for contact messages.
>>>
>>> Anyway, see http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync for more information on how
>>> to debug, provide log files etc...
>>
>> Sorry for that! While removing sensible data from the log files I
>> recognized, that the birthday data is already wrong in the log file. I
>> must have made a mistake last time I checked the birthday. So the data
>> is defintly somehow changed by horde. Re checking the horde interface
>> shows that the data inside horde's gui is correct. The data inside the
>> mysql database is correct too (Table: turba_objects). I am running
>> Address Book (turba) 3.0.11, Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 4.0.6
>
> AFAIK, all date/time data is supposed to be transmitted as UTC time, so
> it will be different than what Horde displays in the GUI, unless your
> timezone *is* UTC.  When I get back to my office, I will double check
> the specs to be sure that the birthday field, specifically, is supposed
> to be transmitted as such.  Though, I wonder why it works for me, on an
> ICS device, in a non-UTC timezone.
>
> Do you store your calendar data in the database in UTC, or as floating?

Calendar data is stored in UTC (kronolith). I am in UTC+1. But time
should not have an impact on a date, right?! Or maybe?
Bday data in horde is stored as varchar but in date format yyyy-mm-dd.
There is no time associated with the bday ... at least as far as i can see.
Well in the log on the other hand a bday entry looks loke this
yyyy-mm-ddT23:00:00.000Z. If this is UTC and I am in UTC+1 than this
could probably have an impact, but it would mean +1 day and the contacts
on my phone have at least -1 day.