[horde] horde replacement

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 4 18:55:51 UTC 2012

Am 04.03.2012 19:36, schrieb Thomas Spuhler:
> It's actually not that bad if you can install it from a Distro and all the
> deps are pulled

the distros are mostly not up-to-date

so since we are PCI scanned weekly and security is one of our
most important things beside performance / deployment i built
horde, imp, mimp, dimp, kronolith... over years at my own as
RPM but there is no way to do this any longer for Horde since
the last major release

a webmail is a must-have feature, but it must have not all
the options of horde so i am only accepting a complex and
feature rich software if it is deployable on many hosts
and no "pear upgrade" is no acceptable deployment

> but the horde folks are not very helpful in fixing the bugs
> in  the packages that would make it easier for packagers.

horde folks are also not helpful in fixing any bugs
since years randomly includes are failing and replace the
relative include do dirname(__FILE__) is a perfect fix

but not for the horde-developers, abnswer in a bugreport
years ago "fix your environemnt" - sorry i am webdevleoper
since years and i never developed anything where the
envirnoment has to be fixed for paths

a webapp has to know it's root-folder and use absolute paths
first for clean running and second fro performance

> I guess we all have choices and if it get's too difficult, they
> will not be included in the Distros anymore.

i fear they are not interested

but who cares, form now on i have to maintain only a single RPM
instead a bundle of them and no questions what all of this
thousands of options in the inerface are doing from users

i understand that the horde-developers are thinking partly
the univserse is around their life-work, but this is not
the case and sooner or later they will be the only users
if updates are randomly breaking as in the last months
since H4 often happened - with a package-manager you can
hanlde such problems much easier as with pear, but upstream
is no longer interested in their userbase